Whether it’s the Atlantic Ocean, a lake, a pond, even a swimming pool, views of water from your home provide an instant sense of ease and relaxation. Something about the colors of a body of water, the sounds and scents it emits, and that innate gravitational pull we all feel for water, make it the ideal natural design element. Bask in the view of some of our Editors' favorite waterside rooms featured in MILIEU!
1. The home’s flagstone terrace is furnished with a grouping of armless teakwood chairs covered in a stone gray fabric from Perennials and accented with Zak + Fox linen pillows, a pair of vintage 1970s Italian rattan chairs from Clarke’s shop, Tower 20, and a wool flat weave striped rug. Design by Tim Clarke. Produced by Leslie Newsom Rascoe. Photography by Peter Vitale. Featured in Summer 2015 issue of MILIEU.
2. In the outdoor pool pavilion, lounge chairs and an ottoman are from Restoration Hardware. The furniture stands up to inclement weather in a Perennials linen weave. The lantern is custom by the designer. Design by Eleanor Cummings. Photography by Eric Piasecki. Featured in Summer 2017 issue of MILIEU.
3. Walls of white stucco used throughout Alys Beach, Florida, frame a Gulf view. Pillows are by Designers Guild. The walnut altar table is from southern France. Flooring is Indiana limestone with repurposed cement inlay tiles from France. Design by Rozanne Jackson. Photography by Peter Vitale. Featured in Summer 2014 issue of MILIEU.
4. Michael S. Smith designed the pool and interiors of mid-century Modern house in Palm Springs. Janus et Cie chaise lounges, upholstered with Delany & Long fabric, are grouped with a Santa Barbara Designs umbrella in a Sunbrella fabric. Design by Michael S. Smith. Photography by Miguel Flores-Vianna. Featured in Spring 2018 issue of MILIEU.
5. A James Perse teakwood Balfour dining table is positioned on a terrace that overlooks the pool and ocean. James Perse Cross Creek directors’ chairs fold away easily. Hanging light sources accent the table. Design by Chris Barrett. Produced by Leslie Newsom Rascoe. Photography by Peter Vitale. Featured in Summer 2016 issue of MILIEU.
6. An old Belgian barn is now an indoor swimming pool. Eddy Dankers treated the walls with a natural hydraulic plaster finish, appropriate for a room with high humidity. Photography by Joris Cerstiaens. Featured in Fall 2015 issue of MILIEU.
8. On this home’s second-floor porch, with its view of the dunes and Gulf, a pair of swivel club chairs, slipcovered in a Sunbrella fabric, sit fireside. The chevron pillow fabric is by Schumacher. Design by Rozanne Jackson. Photography by Peter Vitale. Featured in Summer 2014 issue of MILIEU.
9. The upper pool terrace of a home in Chacala, Mexico, is furnished with teak lounge chairs from Summit, banquette pillows and cushions are covered in Kravet outdoor fabric. Design by Woody Argall. Photography by Peter Vitale. Featured in Summer 2014 issue of MILIEU.
10. A way to revel in Mississippi’s serene beauty is from a hammock, here fitted with Moroccan blankets from SummerHouse, a pillow from Dransfield & Ross covered with Sunbrella fabric and another by Rebecca Atwood. Design by Lisa Palmer. Produced by Leslie Newsom Rascoe. Photography by Peter Vitale. Featured in Summer 2018 issue of MILIEU.