Even when it's open to the room, a canopy bed feels like a mini room within the bedroom. Once you're beneath it, you're surrounded by a framework that has the presence of architecture. Spotted in MILIEU, here are some of our favorites. And, you'll sleep well in any of them.
1. Exterior and interior canopy fabric is Sanderson. Trim is by Samuel & Sons. The mirrored king-size bed is from Julia Gray. The coverlet fabric is by Donghia. Wing chair fabric is Vervain. Designer Barry Dixon, featured in the Winter 2016 issue of MILIEU. Photography by Peter Vitale.
2. Flanked by a pair of late eighteenth-century Italian painting, a painted custom four-poster bed anchors the master bedroom and is topped by white linen bedding and a Bennison fabric on the base. Designer Isabel López-Quesada, featured in the Spring 2017 issue of MILIEU. Photography by Miguel Flores-Vianna.
3. Draperies and shams are Pindler, with a contrasting band from Rogers & Goffigon. The antique swan chaise is upholstered in Jerry Pair Leather. Designer Amy Meier, featured in the Summer 2018 issue of MILIEU. Photography by Karyn Millet.
4. The mid-nineteenth-century bed from John Sauls Antiques is dressed in Rene Balderas bedding, the bedside lamp is Artemide, and the curtain rods are designed by the architect. Architect Don McDonald, featured in the Winter 2014 issue of MILIEU. Photography by Peter Vitale.
5. King iron bed is Hollyhock. Fabrics from C&C Milano and Arjumand, with trim from Samuel & Sons, envelop the king master bed. Sconces are Ralph Lauren, and gourd plaster bedside lamps are from Dessin Fournir by Stephen Antonson. Designer Gil Schafer, featured in the Winter 2016 issue of MILIEU. Photography by Eric Piasecki/OTTO.
6. A Holly Hunt bed and Christian Liaigre linen headboard dominate the master bedroom. Bagni Volpi Noemi Italian linens include custom banded sheets. Designer Barbara Westbrook, featured in the Summer 2015 issue of MILIEU. Photography by Kevin Emirali.
7. The bed linens are Caravane from Le Bon Marché in Paris. A 100-percent wool hand-knotted ottoman from CB2 anchors the room. Designer Connie Buckner, featured in the Winter 2014 issue of MILIEU. Photography by Peter Vitale.
8. Neutral shades of Benjamin Moore paint are used here, and elsewhere, in the home. The pillow fabric is Muriel Brandolini and the rug is Serena and Lily. Homeowner Melissa Sellars, featured in the Summer 2018 issue of MILIEU. Photography by Miguel Flores-Vianna.
9. Mahogany bed is Kerry Joyce Collection for Dessin Fournir with bedding from A Touch of Lace. Custom ottomans are upholstered in Création Baumann mohair. Walls are upholstered in Marvic Textiles fabric. Designer Kerry Joyce, featured in the Spring 2016 issue of MILIEU. Photography by Dominique Vorillon.